Many of us set New Year’s resolutions that revolve around health and wellness, and throwing a green beauty party is a great way to delve into these intentions. Making your own cosmetics is a simple way to drastically reduce the amount of sneaky chemicals and harmful toxins in your body and in your home. With just a few simple ingredients and an afternoon of your time, you’ll be on your way to green beauty goodness.
Gather your friends for an afternoon of DIY and get ready to be amazed at how easy it is to make your own green beauty products!
- Invite 6-10 friends over for an afternoon or evening of DIY fun.
- In the spirit of time and simplicity, pick 3-5 beauty products you would like to make & head to the shop to pick up the all the necessary ingredients. Shopping in bulk is great because you can bring your own bags or containers and cut back on packaging waste. Everything in the spirit of green!
- Ask each guest to bring a few small glass jars or reusable containers to take home their goodie bag of homemade beauty treats.
- Play your favorite tunes, steep some tea & set out a few snacks, like Que Pasa’s Twist of Lime Tortilla Chips and Mexicana Salsa.
- Organize the ingredients for each product in little stations around your kitchen or living area.
- Embrace the chaos – get ready for an afternoon of mess making & hands-on fun!
- Don’t forget to inform your guests of your motivation and inspiration for making homemade cosmetics. Open up the conversation to other ways of “going green”. A few great reasons for the popularity of homemade body care products is controlling the quality of what goes on and ultimately into our bodies, creativity and saving money. Stocking homemade beauty products also limits and reduces the amount of plastics and packaging associated with buying these products new.
- Good for you and environmentally conscious – win-win!
- Now that we’ve covered some of the basics, here are some of my favorite recipes for homemade toothpaste, body butter, and body scrub:
Pick your flavor & get ready for a fresh, bright smile without any nasty additives.
Only two ingredients and you’ll be on your way to silky soft skin that smells DELICIOUS!
Brown Sugar Citrus Body Scrub
A gentle exfoliant that is moisturizing and oh-so-sweet. Here’s how to make it:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 8-10 drops orange oil
- In a small bowl, whisk coconut oil and orange oil together. Add brown sugar and mix well. Fill your favorite mason jar, secure the lid & store for up to 6 months.
How do you plan on setting (and achieving!) your intentions this year?